An Act to provide for a continuing revision and consolidation of the statutes and regulations of Canada
Marginal note:Short title
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 1;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 60.
2 In this Act,
Commission means the Statute Revision Commission established by section 3; (Commission)
Minister means the Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada; (ministre)
(a) statutory orders and regulations published in the Consolidated Regulations of Canada, 1978,
(c) any other regulations, statutory instruments or documents that, in the opinion of the Minister, are of continuing effect or apply to more than one person or body and that are not exempted from publication pursuant to regulations made under paragraph 20(c) of the Statutory Instruments Act; (règlements)
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 2;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 61.
Statute Revision Commission
Marginal note:Commission established
(2) The Minister shall designate one of the members of the Commission to be Chairman thereof.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 3.
4 The Commission shall, under the direction of the Minister, perform the duties imposed on the Commission under this Act.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 4.
PART IPublic General Statutes
Marginal note:Revision of statutes
5 The Commission shall, from time to time, revise the public general statutes of Canada.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 5;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 62.
Marginal note:Powers of Commission
6 In preparing a revision, the Commission may
(a) omit therefrom all Acts or parts thereof that have expired, have been repealed or suspended, or have had their effect;
(b) omit therefrom all Acts or parts thereof that, although enacted as or in public Acts, have reference only to a particular country, province, locality, place or body politic, or otherwise have no general application;
(c) include therein Acts or parts thereof that, although enacted as or in private Acts, or although deemed to be local Acts or enactments, are of such a character that they impose duties or obligations on, or limit the rights or privileges of, the public;
(d) alter the numbering and arrangement of the statutes and of the different Parts, sections and other divisions thereof;
(e) make such alterations in the language of the statutes as may be required to preserve a uniform mode of expression, without changing the substance of any enactment;
(f) make such minor improvements in the language of the statutes as may be required to bring out more clearly the intention of Parliament, or make the form of expression of the statute in one of the official languages more compatible with its expression in the other official language, without changing the substance of any enactment;
(g) make such changes in the statutes as are required to reconcile seemingly inconsistent enactments; and
(h) correct editing, grammatical or typographical errors in the statutes.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 6.
Marginal note:Parliamentary examination
7 (1) During the progress of the preparation of a revision or on the conclusion thereof, or both during the progress and on the conclusion thereof, the Minister shall cause drafts of the statutes so revised to be laid for examination and approval before such Committee of the House of Commons and such Committee of the Senate, or such Committee of both Houses of Parliament, as may be designated for the purpose of the examination and approval.
Marginal note:Enactment of Revised Statutes
(2) When drafts of all the statutes included in a revision have been examined and approved by the Committee or Committees referred to in subsection (1), the Minister shall cause to be prepared and introduced in Parliament a bill substantially in accord with the model bill set out in the schedule, or to the like effect.
- 1974-75-76, c. 20, s. 7.
8 [Repealed, 2000, c. 5, s. 63]
9 [Repealed, 2000, c. 5, s. 63]
9.1 [Repealed, 2000, c. 5, s. 63]
Marginal note:Revision of regulations
10 The Commission shall, from time to time, revise the regulations.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 10;
- 2000, c. 5, ss. 63, 64.
Marginal note:Powers of Commission
11 In preparing and maintaining the Revised Regulations and in keeping the Revised Regulations up to date, the Commission may exercise, in respect of the regulations, the powers that it has under section 6 in respect of a revision under Part I.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 11;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 64.
Marginal note:Deposit of revision
12 (1) On receipt of a written report from the Commission in respect of the completion of all or any part of the Revised Regulations, the Governor in Council may cause a printed Roll of the regulations, attested under the signature of the Minister and the President of the Privy Council, to be deposited in the office of the Clerk of the Privy Council, and the Roll shall be held to be the original of the regulations included in it.
(2) There shall be appended to each Roll a schedule similar in form to the Schedule to Appendix I appended to the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, and the Commission may include in the schedule a list of all regulations and parts of regulations that, although not expressly repealed, are superseded by the regulations included in the Roll, or are inconsistent with them, and a list of all regulations and parts of regulations that were for a temporary purpose the force of which is spent.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 12;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 64.
Marginal note:Coming into force date
(2) On the day referred to in subsection (1) in respect of any Roll, the regulations included in that Roll shall accordingly come into force and have effect as law as part of the Revised Regulations to all intents as if each regulation had been made by the appropriate regulation-making authority and all the requirements with respect to the making of that regulation had been complied with.
(3) On the day referred to in subsection (1), all regulations and parts of regulations listed in the schedule to the Roll are repealed to the extent mentioned in that schedule.
Definition of regulation-making authority
(4) In this section and section 22, regulation-making authority means, in relation to any regulation, the authority authorized to make the regulation.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-20, s. 13;
- 2000, c. 5, s. 65.
- Date modified: