Canada Transportation Act
Marginal note:Statutory review
53 (1) The Minister shall, no later than four years after the day this Act comes into force, appoint one or more persons to carry out a comprehensive review of the operation of this Act and any other Act of Parliament for which the Minister is responsible that pertains to the economic regulation of a mode of transportation and transportation activities under the legislative authority of Parliament.
Marginal note:Objective of review
(2) The person or persons conducting the review shall assess whether the legislation referred to in subsection (1) provides Canadians with an efficient, effective, flexible and affordable transportation system, and, where necessary or desirable, recommend amendments to
(a) the national transportation policy set out in section 5; and
(b) the legislation referred to in subsection (1).
(3) The review shall be undertaken in consultation with purchasers and suppliers of transportation services and any other persons whom the Minister considers appropriate.
Marginal note:Powers on review
(4) Every person appointed to carry out the review has, for the purposes of the review, the powers of a commissioner under Part I of the Inquiries Act and may engage the services of experts, professionals and other staff deemed necessary for making the review at the rates of remuneration that the Treasury Board approves.
(5) The review shall be completed and a report of the review submitted to the Minister within one year after the appointment referred to in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Tabling of report
(6) The Minister shall have a copy of the report laid before each House of Parliament on any of the first thirty days on which that House is sitting after the Minister receives it.
- Date modified: