Canada Elections Act
Marginal note:Place of ordinary residence
8 (1) The place of ordinary residence of a person is the place that has always been, or that has been adopted as, his or her dwelling place, and to which the person intends to return when away from it.
Marginal note:One place of residence only
(2) A person can have only one place of ordinary residence and it cannot be lost until another is gained.
Marginal note:Temporary absence
(3) Temporary absence from a place of ordinary residence does not cause a loss or change of place of ordinary residence.
Marginal note:Place of employment
(4) If a person usually sleeps in one place and has their meals or is employed in another place, their place of ordinary residence is where they sleep.
Marginal note:Temporary residence
(5) Temporary residential quarters are considered to be a person’s place of ordinary residence only if the person has no other place that they consider to be their residence.
Marginal note:Temporary residential quarters
(6) A shelter, hostel or similar institution that provides food, lodging or other social services to a person who has no dwelling place is that person’s place of ordinary residence.
- Date modified: