Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Liability in respect of amounts received out of or under RCA trust
160.3 (1) If an amount required to be included in the income of a taxpayer because of paragraph 56(1)(x) is received by a person with whom the taxpayer is not dealing at arm’s length, that person is jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable with the taxpayer to pay a part of the taxpayer’s tax under this Part for the taxation year in which the amount is received equal to the amount by which the taxpayer’s tax for the year exceeds the amount that would be the taxpayer’s tax for the year if the amount had not been received, but nothing in this subsection limits the liability of the taxpayer under any other provision of this Act or of the person for the interest that the person is liable to pay under this Act on an assessment in respect of the amount that the person is liable to pay because of this subsection.
(2) The Minister may at any time assess a person in respect of any amount payable because of this section, and the provisions of this Division (including, for greater certainty, the provisions in respect of interest payable) apply, with any modifications that the circumstances require, in respect of an assessment made under this section as though it had been made under section 152 in respect of taxes payable under this Part.
Marginal note:Rules applicable
(3) If a taxpayer and another person have, by virtue of subsection (1), become jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable in respect of part or all of a liability of the taxpayer under this Act, the following rules apply:
(a) a payment by the other person on account of the other person’s liability shall to the extent thereof discharge their liability; but
(b) a payment by the taxpayer on account of the taxpayer’s liability discharges the other person’s liability only to the extent that the payment operates to reduce the taxpayer’s liability to an amount less than the amount in respect of which the other person was, by subsection (1), made jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 160.3
- 2013, c. 34, ss. 144, 316
- Date modified: