Income Tax Act
191.2 (1) For the purposes of determining the tax payable by reason of subparagraphs 191.1(1)(a)(ii) and 191.1(1)(a)(iii), a taxable Canadian corporation (other than a financial intermediary corporation or a private holding corporation) may make an election with respect to a class of its taxable preferred shares the terms and conditions of which require an election to be made under this subsection by filing a prescribed form with the Minister
(a) not later than the day on or before which its return of income under Part I is required by section 150 to be filed for the taxation year in which shares of that class are first issued or first become taxable preferred shares; or
(b) within the 6 month period commencing on any of the following days, namely,
(i) the day of mailing of any notice of assessment of tax payable under this Part or Part I by the corporation for that year,
(ii) where the corporation has served a notice of objection to an assessment described in subparagraph 191.2(1)(b)(i), the day of mailing of a notice that the Minister has confirmed or varied the assessment,
(iii) where the corporation has instituted an appeal in respect of an assessment described in subparagraph 191.2(1)(b)(i) to the Tax Court of Canada, the day of mailing of a copy of the decision of the Court to the taxpayer, and
(iv) where the corporation has instituted an appeal in respect of an assessment described in subparagraph 191.2(1)(b)(i) to the Federal Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court of Canada, the day on which the judgment of the Court is pronounced or delivered or the day on which the corporation discontinues the appeal.
Marginal note:Time of election
(2) An election with respect to a class of taxable preferred shares filed in accordance with subsection 191.2(1) shall be deemed to have been filed before any dividend on a share of that class is paid.
(3) Where an election has been filed under subsection 191.2(1), the Minister shall, notwithstanding subsections 152(4) and 152(5), assess or reassess the tax, interest or penalties payable under this Act by any corporation for any relevant taxation year in order to take into account the election.
- [NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text
- see relevant amending Acts and regulations.]
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (5th Supp.), s. 191.2
- 2002, c. 8, s. 184
- Date modified: