Canada Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
14.26 (1) Every employer who wishes to use signals to direct the movement of motorized materials handling equipment shall establish a single code of signals to be used by signallers in all of the employer’s work places.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), signals from the code referred to in subsection (1) shall be given by a signaller, who may use only those signals.
(3) A signal to stop given by any person granted access to the work place by the employer shall be obeyed by an operator.
(4) No signaller shall perform duties other than signalling while the motorized materials handling equipment under the signaller’s direction is in operation.
(5) Where any movement of motorized materials handling equipment that is directed by a signaller poses a risk to the safety of any person, the signaller shall not give the signal to move until that person is warned of, or protected from, the risk.
(6) Where the operator of any motorized materials handling equipment does not understand a signal, the operator shall consider that signal to be a stop signal.
- SOR/96-400, s. 1
- SOR/2021-122, s. 10
- Date modified: