PART 1General Provisions Respecting Boards (continued)
Establishment and Organization (continued)
9.1 The purpose of the establishment of boards by this Act is to enable residents of the Mackenzie Valley to participate in the management of its resources for the benefit of the residents and of other Canadians.
10 A board has, for the purposes of its functions, the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person.
Marginal note:Appointment of members by federal Minister
11 (1) The members of a board — other than the chairperson, any members appointed pursuant to a determination under section 15 and any members appointed by the Tlicho Government under subsection 57.1(2) or in accordance with an agreement referred to in that subsection — shall be appointed by the federal Minister in accordance with Parts 2 to 5.
Marginal note:Alternate members
(2) Except in the case of the Wekeezhii Land and Water Board, the federal Minister may appoint
(a) alternate members selected from persons nominated for that purpose by a first nation, or selected following consultation with first nations, to act in the event of the absence or incapacity of members appointed on such nomination or following such consultation, respectively; and
(b) alternate members agreed to by the territorial Minister to act in the event of the absence or incapacity of members other than members referred to in paragraph (a).
- 1998, c. 25, s. 11
- 2005, c. 1, s. 19
Marginal note:Appointment by federal Minister
(2) Except in the case of the Wekeezhii Land and Water Board, if a majority of the members does not nominate a person acceptable to the federal Minister within a reasonable time, the Minister may appoint any person as chairperson of the board.
Marginal note:Wekeezhii Land and Water Board
(2.1) The chairperson of the Wekeezhii Land and Water Board shall be appointed jointly by the federal Minister and the Tlicho Government on the nomination of the members of the Board other than the chairperson.
Marginal note:Absence or incapacity of chairperson
(3) The board may designate a member to act as its chairperson during the absence or incapacity of the chairperson or a vacancy in the office of chairperson, and that person while so acting may exercise the powers and shall perform the duties of the chairperson.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 12
- 2005, c. 1, s. 20
Marginal note:Duties of chairperson
13 The chairperson of a board is its chief executive officer and has the powers and duties prescribed by the by-laws of the board.
Marginal note:Term of office
(2) A member may be reappointed in the same or another capacity.
Marginal note:Removal by federal Minister after consultation
(3) A member who has been appointed by the federal Minister may not be removed from office except after consultation by the federal Minister with the board and, where applicable, with the territorial Minister, the first nation or the Tlicho Government that nominated the member.
Marginal note:Removal by Tlicho Government after consultation
(4) A member of the Wekeezhii Land and Water Board who has been appointed by the Tlicho Government may not be removed from office except after consultation by the Tlicho Government with the Board and the federal Minister.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 14
- 2005, c. 1, s. 21
Marginal note:Implementation of right of representation of other Aboriginal peoples
15 Despite any provision of this Act respecting members of a board, if an Aboriginal people has a right under a land claim agreement to representation on that board in relation to a decision of the board that might affect an area used by that Aboriginal people that is outside the board’s area of jurisdiction, the board shall, in accordance with that land claim agreement, determine how to implement that right, so long as the number of members who are either nominated by a first nation, nominated or appointed by the Tlicho Government or appointed following consultation by the federal Minister with the first nations of the regions of the Mackenzie Valley outside the settlement areas and Wekeezhii, as the case may be, and who are temporarily appointed to implement that right remains equal to the number of other members not including the chairperson.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 15
- 2005, c. 1, s. 22
- 2019, c. 19, s. 2
Marginal note:Conflict of interest
Marginal note:Status or entitlements under agreement
(2) A member of a board is not placed in a material conflict of interest merely because of any status or entitlement conferred on the member under the Gwich’in Agreement, the Sahtu Agreement, the Tlicho Agreement or any other agreement between a first nation and Her Majesty in right of Canada for the settlement of a claim to lands or under the Déline Agreement.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 16
- 2005, c. 1, s. 23
- 2015, c. 24, s. 26
(2) Such members shall be paid such travel and living expenses, incurred by them while absent from their ordinary place of residence in the course of performing their duties, as are consistent with directives of the Treasury Board.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 17
- 2005, c. 1, s. 24
- 2014, c. 2, s. 123
18 (1) A board may employ such persons and engage the services of such agents, advisers and experts as are necessary for the proper conduct of its business and may fix the conditions of their employment or engagement and pay their remuneration.
Marginal note:Sharing of staff and facilities
(2) The boards may share staff and facilities with one another for the effective and efficient conduct of their affairs.
19 The members of a board and its employees are deemed to be employees for the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and to be employed in the federal public administration for the purposes of any regulations made pursuant to section 9 of the Aeronautics Act.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 19
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E)
Marginal note:Protection from personal liability
20 The members and employees of a board are not liable for anything done or omitted to be done in good faith in the exercise or performance or purported exercise or performance of any powers, duties or functions under this Act.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 20
- 2014, c. 2, s. 124
Marginal note:Decision by majority
Marginal note:Participation by telephone
(2) Subject to the by-laws of a board, any member may participate in a meeting by means of telephone or other communications facilities that are likely to enable all persons participating in the meeting to hear each other, and a member so participating is deemed to be present at the meeting.
Marginal note:Government information
22 Subject to any other federal or territorial law and to any Tlicho law or Déline law, a board may obtain from any department or agency of the federal or territorial government, the Tlicho Government or the Déline Got’ine Government any information in the possession of the department, agency, Tlicho Government or Déline Got’ine Government that the board requires for the performance of its functions.
- 1998, c. 25, s. 22
- 2005, c. 1, s. 25
- 2015, c. 24, s. 27
Marginal note:Enforcement of orders
23 A decision or order of a board may be made an order of the Supreme Court of the Northwest Territories by the filing of a certified copy of it with the registrar of the Court, and a decision or order so filed is enforceable in the same manner as an order of that Court.
- Date modified: