Statistics Canada (continued)
Marginal note:Rules, instructions and requests for information
7 (1) The Chief Statistician may prescribe the rules, instructions and, subject to subsection 21(1), requests for information that he or she considers necessary for conducting the work and business of Statistics Canada, the collecting, compiling and publishing of statistics and other information and the taking of any census authorized by this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-19, s. 7
- 2017, c. 31, s. 5
Marginal note:Mandatory or voluntary requests for information
8 (1) The Chief Statistician shall determine whether a request for information is mandatory or voluntary, with the exception of the census of population and census of agriculture, both of which are mandatory.
(2) The Chief Statistician shall publish any mandatory request for information before the request is made.
Marginal note:Notification of Minister
(3) The Chief Statistician shall notify the Minister of any new mandatory request for information at least 30 days before the day on which it is published.
Marginal note:Voluntary requests for information — paragraph 31(a) does not apply
(4) Paragraph 31(a) does not apply to a person to whom a voluntary request for information is made.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-19, s. 8
- 2017, c. 31, s. 5
Canadian Statistics Advisory Council
(a) to advise the Minister and Chief Statistician in a transparent manner on any question that either of them has referred to the Council on the overall quality of the national statistical system, including the relevance, accuracy, accessibility and timeliness of its data; and
(b) to make public an annual report on the state of the national statistical system.
(2) The Council is composed of, in addition to the Chief Statistician, not more than 10 other members appointed by the Governor in Council to hold office during pleasure, including one Chairperson.
Marginal note:Ex officio
(3) The Chief Statistician is an ex officio member of the Council.
Marginal note:Tenure of Chairperson
(4) The Chairperson is appointed to a term of not more than five years and may be reappointed for an additional term of three years.
Marginal note:Tenure of other members
(5) The other members are appointed to a term of three years and may be reappointed for an additional term of three years.
Marginal note:Remuneration and expenses
(6) The members appointed under subsection (2) shall be paid the remuneration that is fixed by the Governor in Council and are entitled to be paid any reasonable travel and living expenses that are incurred while absent from their ordinary place of residence in the course of performing their duties under this Act.
- 2017, c. 31, s. 5
Marginal note:No discrimination
9 (1) The Governor in Council, the Minister and the Chief Statistician shall not, in the execution of the powers conferred by this Act, discriminate between individuals or companies to the prejudice of those individuals or companies.
Marginal note:Use of sampling methods
(2) Despite any other provision of this Act, the Chief Statistician may authorize the use of sampling methods for the collection of statistics.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-19, s. 9
- 2017, c. 31, s. 5
Marginal note:Arrangements with provincial governments
10 (1) The Minister may enter into any arrangement with the government of a province providing for any matter necessary or convenient for the purpose of carrying out or giving effect to this Act, and in particular for all or any of the following matters:
(a) the execution by provincial officers of any power or duty conferred or imposed on any officer pursuant to this Act;
(b) the collection by any provincial department or provincial officer of any statistical or other information required for the purpose of this Act; and
(c) the supplying of statistical information by any provincial department or provincial officer to the Chief Statistician.
Marginal note:Provincial officers
(2) All provincial officers executing any power or duty conferred or imposed on any officer pursuant to this Act, in pursuance of any arrangement entered into under this section, shall, for the purposes of the execution of that power or duty, be deemed to be employed under this Act.
- 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 9
Marginal note:Agreements with provincial governments
11 (1) The Minister may, with the approval of the Governor in Council and subject to this section, enter into an agreement with the government of a province for the exchange with, or transmission to, a statistical agency of the province of
Marginal note:Type of statistical agency
(2) An agreement with a province for the purposes of this section shall apply only in respect of a statistical agency of the province
(a) that has statutory authority to collect the information that is intended to be exchanged or transmitted pursuant to the agreement from a respondent who is subject to statutory penalties for refusing or neglecting to furnish information to the agency or for falsifying information furnished by him to the agency;
(b) that is prohibited by law from disclosing any information of a kind that Statistics Canada, its officers and employees would be prohibited from disclosing under section 17, if the information were furnished to Statistics Canada; and
(c) whose officers and employees are subject to statutory penalties for the disclosing of any information of the kind described in paragraph (b), subject to exceptions authorized by law that are substantially the same as those provided under section 17.
Marginal note:Non-application of agreement
(3) Except in respect of information described in subsection 17(2), no agreement entered into under this section applies to any reply made to or information collected by Statistics Canada or an agency of the government of a province before the date that the agreement was entered into or is to have effect, whichever is the later date.
Marginal note:Informing respondent
(4) Where any information in respect of which an agreement under this section applies is collected by Statistics Canada from a respondent, Statistics Canada shall, when collecting information, advise the respondent of the names of any statistical agencies in respect of which the Minister has an agreement under this section and to which the information received from the respondent may be communicated under that agreement.
- 1970-71-72, c. 15, s. 10
Marginal note:Sharing of information
12 (1) The Minister may enter into an agreement with any department or municipal or other corporation for the sharing of information collected from a respondent by either Statistics Canada or the department or corporation on behalf of both of them and for the subsequent tabulation or publication based on that information.
(2) An agreement under subsection (1) shall provide that
(a) the respondent be informed by notice that the information is being collected on behalf of Statistics Canada and the department or corporation, as the case may be; and
(b) where the respondent gives notice in writing to the Chief Statistician that the respondent objects to the sharing of the information by Statistics Canada, the information not be shared with the department or corporation unless the department or corporation is authorized by law to require the respondent to provide that information.
Marginal note:What information may be shared
(3) Information shared pursuant to this section may, subject to subsection (2), include replies to original inquiries and supplementary information provided by a respondent to Statistics Canada or the department or corporation.
- R.S., 1985, c. S-19, s. 12
- 1992, c. 1, s. 130
- Date modified: